[Linux-aus] Advice for women thinking about submitting a paper to Linux.conf.au? Do it! :)

Sarah Stokely sarah.stokely at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 19:23:45 EST 2008

Hi everyone,
[crossposted to Linux Chix, Linux Australia,  LCA  and GGD lists, apologies
if you see this a few times.]

I'm trying to get this message out to lists frequented by technical women &
students, please forward to any mailing lists or friends/colleagues who
you'd like to see presenting at LCA. :)
I'm a member of the Linux Chix list and I'm trying to encourage more women
to submit papers to LCA 2009. I'm not part of the LCA 2009 organising
committee, this is not an "official" thing just something I'm organising
with the help of a couple of volunteers.
If you're a female geek (professional or student) and thinking of submitting
a tech talk to LCA, then I'd like to tell you that a couple of experienced
speakers have volunteered to make some time to read draft proposals & give
feedback to women who are interested in presenting at LCA. The idea is to
encourage women (especially ones who haven't applied or presented before)
and hopefully increase their chances of getting selected.

The timetable I'd like to work to is:

1) You contact me asap (sarah.stokely at gmail.com)to let me know you're
interested in having someone vet your talk. I will provide you with contact
details of your "mentor" and you will forward your draft proposal to them by
this Friday, 25 July (yes, this Friday!)
2) Your mentor will get a week to look at your proposal, and will be asked
to send you some feedback by August 1. (so you'll then have a week to do any
further tweaking before submitting your proposal).
4) Call for papers ends on 8 August, hopefully many excellent proposals will
be submitted including a record number by women. :)

Please note: There are a lot of things you can do yourself to improve your
proposal before it even goes to your mentor. Please check out the following.

*Information on LCA for people wanting to give a paper:*

There's heaps of information on the LCA 2009 website on what kind of papers
they look for, what format the presentations take, etc, so head over there
and take a look. Note that the call for papers (abstracts, not the full
paper!) is 8th August - so it's time to get moving if you haven't already.
:)

Here's information about the call for
presentations:http://marchsouth.org/media/news/6

Here's some helpful information for presenters including what's involved in
being a speaker, and how long the talks go
for:http://marchsouth.org/programme/presenter_faq

and here's some information about how to make your proposal even better to
increase it's chances of getting selected. (Please read this before you ask
one of our helpful volunteers to put their time into vetting your paper).

http://puzzling.org/logs/thoughts/2006/October/9/lca-reviews (Getting a talk
into Linux.conf.au <http://linux.conf.au/>)

http://advogato.org/article/549.html (How to get a conference paper
accepted)