[Linux-aus] Article about Make The Move

Mike Lampard mike at mtgambier.net
Mon Jan 14 12:55:03 UTC 2008

On Monday 14 January 2008 21:43:54 Chris Smart wrote:
> Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > The article reflects what I've been thinking for some time: we need too
> > be more user-centric.
> >
> > I've got a guide written at http://www.linux.org.au/linux . It's only
> > half-done, and I long ago realised that it needs some serious
> > restructuring to improve readability and relevance to the reader.
> > Unfortunately it's on my 'when I get the time' list, but comments and
> > suggestions are welcome. I've already got a ream of notes that I need to
> > incorporate into it.
>
> Hey Sridhar,
>
> Thanks for your commens. I find myself in agreement with you and the
> blog. The MTM site was meant to be informative, where interested people
> could learn (in simple English) what all this Linux stuff was about.
>
> But as the article says, most people don't care about that, they just
> want to know how to use their computer better.
>
> So I'm thinking I can change the way the site reads. We could still
> include informative information, but maybe for those who really want to
> know. I'm working on it... well, I'm supposed to be working on it.
>
> As for the layout, yeah the site needs a lot of work. Unfortunately I'm
> neither an expert programmer nor a graphic designer, but I try. The
> offer is open to anyone to help out  ;)

I have to agree that perhaps placing the "why should I move" page
front-of-house would be advantageous, as suggested in the blog.  But this is
a design issue rather than one of content, as I think the vast majority of
the sites' content is fine.  You've done 'the hard yards', and any content
that needs modification can relatively easily be changed.

If you really want some help with design and layout, I offer (some of) my
time.

Mike