[Linux-aus] OOXML support (was: If you could ask Microsoft a question...)

Karl Goetz karl at kgoetz.id.au
Mon Jan 14 11:52:09 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-01-14 at 16:46 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Con Zymaris">
>
> > In fact, our best strategy would be to help in pushing back OOXML adoption
> > and retarding OOXML adoption for as long as possible, specifically showing
> > no signs of supporting OOXML until a very clear majority of the world's
> > Microsoft Office users have adopted it.
>
> Yeah, I can totally see the market strength of ODF-supporting office suites
> "retarding" the adoption of the Office 2007 file formats [1],
> [1] Doesn't mean the same thing as OOXML.

no it doesnt, but that doesnt make it 'less bad'. if anything it makes
it more of a problem for Free software.
mmmm. "I cant belive its not butter." (Anyone familar with those ads?)

>  particularly
> given that all (market-share relevant) previous versions of Microsoft Office
> are capable of reading and writing them.

Not 'off the bat' their not. it requires people to explicity go and
install the update to office to enable it.

>  We're gonna make a *biiig* dent in
> that, so we should definitely inconvenience current and potential users of
> FLOSS products in the mean time.

or do like they do now - "could you not send in [weird proprietary
format of your choice], i cant open it".
kk

--
Karl Goetz,
Debian user / Ubuntu contributor / gNewSense contributor