[Linux-aus] OOXML support (was: If you could ask Microsoft a question...)

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Mon Jan 14 05:46:45 UTC 2008

<quote who="Con Zymaris">

> In fact, our best strategy would be to help in pushing back OOXML adoption
> and retarding OOXML adoption for as long as possible, specifically showing
> no signs of supporting OOXML until a very clear majority of the world's
> Microsoft Office users have adopted it.

Yeah, I can totally see the market strength of ODF-supporting office suites
"retarding" the adoption of the Office 2007 file formats [1], particularly
given that all (market-share relevant) previous versions of Microsoft Office
are capable of reading and writing them. We're gonna make a *biiig* dent in
that, so we should definitely inconvenience current and potential users of
FLOSS products in the mean time.

I mean, no one else is that bold! Who else would even come up with punching
their *own users* in the face in order to artificially win the market high
ground?

Oh yeah...

- Jeff

[1] Doesn't mean the same thing as OOXML.

--
linux.conf.au 2008: Melbourne, Australia        http://lca2008.linux.org.au/

              Fierce Commerce. Fierce Freedom. Free Software.