[Linux-aus] [Osia-discuss] If you could ask Microsoft a question...

Jiri Baum jiri at baum.com.au
Sun Jan 13 10:54:27 UTC 2008

Hello,

Jiri Baum:
> > Unfortunately, this will not mitigate any of the likely harms to come out
> > of it, so it'd be a rather pointless gesture.

Jeff Waugh:
> Please document the potential "harms" instead of talking about them in the
> abstract.

They were discussed in more detail elsewhere on this thread. The most likely
ones, I think, are (a) some press dude comes along and says "Wow, those
freetards sure treated Microsoft badly", or (b) they come in, dodge any hard
questions and walk out again amicably, giving us nothing and gaining some
minor measure of goodwill for themselves. Neither of these is mitigated by
boycotting the event; at most, (a) might become "Wow, those freetards sure
treated Microsoft badly by not even turning up", ensuring (b) by default.

> > Your phrasing also underscores that they are, in fact, gaining "some
> > measure of discord among us", as I wrote earlier.

> Ah, so because I think you're behaving like an intolerant zealot, Microsoft
> wins?

It was your suggestion of autoeroticism I had in mind.

> Let us construct a reality in which we cannot possibly win, so that we may
> win against this tyrant! Then we will surely-- hrm, what were we doing
> again?

Where possible, choosing the course of action that will result in a net
benefit or minimise the net loss. That includes realistically assessing what
benefits (or otherwise) we might gain from this event and cancelling it if
the balance speaks against it.

[from another post on the same thread]
> > > The venue is unlikely to provoke a PR earthquake for anyone involved.

> > Agreed. Though if we could swing it, it'd be neat :-)

> Wow. So, you'd like to be as grubby as you've suggested they are? Classy.

Well, you were the one with the "lion's mouth" imagery. You can hardly blame
me if I then ask for lions...

Besides, what possible positive outcome would one expect from a Q&A session?
The only one I can think of would be if some of the answers or evasions were
notable and newsworthy.

Jiri
--
Jiri Baum <jiri at baum.com.au>                   http://www.baum.com.au/~jiri