[Linux-aus] [Osia-discuss] If you could ask Microsoft a question, what would it be?

Nathan Bailey Nathan.Bailey at its.monash.edu
Sun Jan 13 01:33:50 UTC 2008

Microsoft Research do some really interesting, innovative and even
completely open stuff. If we're looking for opportunities to
collaborate (= help Microsoft to engage with, contribute to and build
our community) then I would think it would be good to:
i) Understand what are some key MS research activities of interest to
the SLUG/LUV communities
ii) Understand some key problems in the SLUG/LUV communities that MS
research or MS in general may be able to help solve
iii) Understand what grants, cooperative research and cooperative
development priorities MS may have right now.

Microsoft is a huge cash cow (in the OS and Office sections, at
least). We should be actively working with them to help them spend
their money on things that are important to both of us.

Let's not use this opportunity to dig up all the things MS have done
(or are doing) wrong. Let's use it to find ways to help them do right.
They're not going to change their core values (and neither are we),
but there is still plenty of room for agreement and collaboration.

re,
PS: Some people may be surprised to think that MS would want to work
with, contribute to or build our community. But MS already do a lot of
this for a lot of different communities. Helping communities is good
business. Let's find ways to help Microsoft contribute to our
communities.