[Linux-aus] [Osia-discuss] Re: If you could ask Microsoft a question, what would it be?

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Sat Jan 12 11:47:23 UTC 2008

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008, "Brent Wallis" <brent.wallis at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some questions come to mind and am wondering if this list could be
> given more info....
>
> On Jan 12, 2008 7:06 PM, Sridhar Dhanapalan <sridhar at dhanapalan.com> wrote:
> > /me dons his flame-retardant suit
> >
> > If you could ask Microsoft a question, what would it be?
> >
> > That is not a theoretical question. There's a strong chance that we can
> > have some fairly senior Microsoft Australia representatives [1] at a SLUG
> > meeting (likely this month's). One shall be a business person, the others
> > are engineers.
>
> K...so they asked to come along or did someone invite them?

They offered, and we treated them with even more scepticism and conditions
than we would an offer from anyone else. We have plenty of presentations from
people who aren't part of the SLUG community (or who don't attend meetings).
We considered asking them to attend a meeting first, but I don't think it
would have made much of a difference anyway.

It will be a Q&A session, not a one-way marketing presentation. No doubt
they'll try and cast their products in good light, but the community will be
driving the event. If they sound evasive or self-promoting, pull them up on
it.

> The big 2 questions I have in my head is "why" this MS visit, and,
> what the SLUG and MS want to get out of it.

Those questions are key. I have added them to the wiki page[1].

[1] http://wiki.slug.org.au/microsoftquestions

--
"Lazy programmers are the best programmers. Think Tom Sawyer painting the
fence. That's intelligence. Requiring almost no effort is a big plus in my