[Linux-aus] If you could ask Microsoft a question, what would it be?

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Sat Jan 12 08:06:01 UTC 2008

/me dons his flame-retardant suit

If you could ask Microsoft a question, what would it be?

That is not a theoretical question. There's a strong chance that we can have
some fairly senior Microsoft Australia representatives [1] at a SLUG meeting
(likely this month's). One shall be a business person, the others are
engineers.

This is our chance to ask the hard questions that have been burning in the
backs of our minds.

The main rules are:

* Keep it civil and intelligent. A hard question can be asked in a courteous
fashion. Asking "Why do you eat babies?" doesn't help anyone.
* Keep the questions short and to the point. Remember that the questions will
be asked verbally. We want to maximise our limited time. If you really need
to, split the question into multiple parts.
* Keep it on topic. I know a lot of us wonder why Windows ME ever existed, but
that doesn’t help the FLOSS community today.

Post your questions on the SLUG wiki[2], and discuss them on the SLUG
activities list[3].

We also need a SLUG member to entrust to manage the questions and collate them
so that they may be asked at the meeting. Any takers?

BTW, we are fully aware of the delicacies of having Microsoft present at our
LUG. We only accepted the offer after careful deliberation and after
assurances that this would be a community-led event. If you're frustrated
with Microsoft, let them know at the meeting though a poignant question.

If you can't make it to the meeting, we are going to have a recording
available for download.

[1] We were going to get Sam Ramiji from Redmond, but he's had to cancel his
trip. There will be another bloke arriving in Melbourne for linux.conf.au.
[2] http://wiki.slug.org.au/microsoftquestions