[Linux-aus] Videoing LUG Talks

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Tue Feb 5 02:07:11 UTC 2008

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Bret Busby wrote:

> Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 09:54:48 +0900 (WST)
> From: Bret Busby <bret at busby.net>
> To: Linux Australia List <linux-aus at lists.linux.org.au>
> Subject: Re: [Linux-aus] Videoing LUG Talks
>
> On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, Michael Still wrote:
>
>> Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 08:45:27 -0800
>> From: Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com>
>> To: Bret Busby <bret at busby.net>
>> Cc: Linux Australia List <linux-aus at lists.linux.org.au>
>> Subject: Re: [Linux-aus] Videoing LUG Talks
>>
>> Bret Busby wrote:
>>>
>>> Has the proposal been sent to the various UG's around the country?
>>>
>>> Surely, it is something for the committees (and possibly memberships) of
>>> the various UG's to consider and for them to respond.
>>
>> Surely its best to decide if the people with the money are willing to
>> spend it in a given way before making an offer to the people who would
>> receive the money?
>>
>> Mikal
>>

> Well, ...
>
>> From what I understand, Linux Australia has a grants system, where
> interested parties make application for funding, for Linux-related projects,
> and the plausibility feasibility, etc, is then considered, and a decision
> made to accept of reject the application.
>
> What is propsed here, without first "sounding out" the UG's, sounds to me
> like Linux Australia making a grants decision without any applicants, and
> then, if the decision is made to fund the project, the UG's may feel obliged
> to get the gear and film (or whatever - film is probably not the correct term
> any more, as film is now probably seldom used) their monthly (or however
> frequent) seminars, regardless of whether the seminars are of interest to
> others, regardless of whether each UG regards each oif its seminars worthy of
> recording and publishing, and, regardless of whether each UG has enough
> people to organise such an endeavour, or anyone capable of both filming and
> publishing the live performances.
>
> It is one thing to go into this all starry-eyed, and say, "Wow, this is a
> great idea, lets do it", but, if it is to be implemented by the UG's, then
> the UG's should be contacted first, and their input considered.
>
> Otherwise, it could end up like the "referendum on whether Australia should
> become a republic", that we never had, because it was done in such a way as
> to prevent the people from making the decision, and, like that "referendum",
> it could go through alot of work and expense, and then fail, because it did
> not involve the people who would be affected, in the making of the
> significant decisions.
>
> --
> Bret Busby
> Armadale
> West Australia

Oh, and, as an example of lost opportunities, it is unfortunate, that
PLUG has an AGM coming up a week from today, without this being an
Agenda item for the AGM, as (apparently) Linux Australia has decided to
exclude the UG's, as the affected people, from input, and, if the
proposal was formally sent to the UG's ASAP, such a proposal could be
put to the members, at the AGM, for their input, and, if instead, the
UG's are left out of the process, then it could come and go, and, be
like the "referendum", where the people affected, had no real say,and it
could end up with UG's regarding whatever happens, as the UG's being
told what to do, and how to run their affairs, by Linux Australia,
rather than Linux Australia providing support to the UG's WHEN REQUESTED
by the UG's.

So, with the PLUG AGM coming up, a week from today, I suggest that
some appropriate office bearer from the new Linux Australia committee,
formally contact the UG's, and advise them of the proposal, and seek
their input, so that the proposal can be discussed that the UG level,
especially at events like AGM's, so that the UG's, as the people to be
affected by the proposal, actually get to have a say, regarding the
proposal, before a decision is made by Linux Australia, as to whether
"it is a good idea".

--
Bret Busby
Armadale