[Linux-aus] linux-aus Digest, Vol 21, Issue 8

Josh Stewart noisymime at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 12:58:14 EST 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008,  Arjen Lentz wrote:
> So, I just saw a story on DDA on the 7.30 report. See http://www.dda4me.com for info.
> It's a Melbourne invention, has some patents on it, comes as software + data on USB with activation key (goes online), and delivers rich media foo to replace the CD.
>
> Seems to work on Win+Mac, but what about Linux? (I honestly don't know, the site doesn't tell  - so don't start protesting yet, find out first!)
> And what in the future with changed and new platforms? Will this fly? If it does fly anyway, will the world get stuck with a software+data pile of USB keys that become unusable?
> The online info does say that it's easy to shift music into say iTunes, so that's a good thing I suppose although that in itself means nothing for possible DRM, the site doesn't say anything on that topic which is a bit of a worry in itself.
>
> The stuff can get updated after activation. That also sounds like a marvellous target for potential viruses and other malware.
>

> Not wishing to diminish the innovative thinking of this Melbourne fella (a music industry veteran, apparently) but I think there are enough topics here to ponder very seriously.

The site is very light on for details, however if you look deep enough
in the FAQ section it mentions that the audio is mp3:
"Each DDA contains an artist's album (in mp3 format) plus bonus
material you won't find on the CD or digital download versions."

Whilst mp3 isn't perfect from a free software point of view, its a
whole lot better than some of the alternatives. The site neglects to
disclose what format the 'bonus material' comes in, but I wouldn't
hold much hope for it running on linux (unless they go for something
like flash/shockwave).

A few people have commented that this is doomed to be yet another
failed idea by a dying industry, but I don't necessarily agree. Having
everything on a usb key is a nice way to package up digital music and,
to some degree, it negates the need for someone to have to install
proprietary software just to download media.

It might not be exactly what is needed, but I think its a step in the
right direction (assuming DRM is left off for the music), and with
something as large as the music industry, small steps are the best you
can hope for.

-Josh