[Linux-aus] SFD public liability insurance

Jonathan Oxer jon at ivt.com.au
Fri Sep 14 04:27:38 UTC 2007

And following up on a specific part of Terry's message:

On Fri, 2007-09-14 at 12:25 +1000, Terry Dawson wrote:
> As many of you will know there has been considerable interest expressed
> in having Linux Australia extend its Public Liability Insurance to not
> only formal events such as LCA, SFD etc, but out to other community
> activities such as usergroup meetings and fests of all kinds.

The really good news coming out of LA's new public liability insurance
policy is that we're now much more flexible regarding the sorts of
events that can be covered. Rather than adding every event to the policy
individually and paying an additional premium, as was the case under the
previous policy, we can now cover events such as LUG meetings and
installfests without a policy addition or additional fees provided they
are official LA events.

This is particularly important given recent changes to PLI legislation:
previously non-profit associations were required to maintain PLI, while
now it's merely recommended. What this means is that with our new
insurance policy LUGs that are incorporated non-profit associations such
as SLUG could potentially now drop their own PLI and come under LA's
cover as long as the LUG meetings are recognised as official LA events.
It also means that LUGs with [less|no] formal structure such as CLUG can
have events covered.

A big thankyou to Terry and Pia for doing the legwork in arranging the
new policy. It's a big pain that we've had to go through this but it's
just an unfortunate reality of running an organisation nowadays.

Go luck and thankyou to everybody involved in SFD events tomorrow and
Sunday. Have a great weekend and have fun spreading the word!

Cheers   :-)
--
Jonathan Oxer
Ph +61 3 9723 9399