[Linux-aus] New Federal Govt's Education/PC plans

Marco Ostini m.ostini at uq.edu.au
Wed Nov 28 01:08:49 UTC 2007

Hey Phil, et al.

It makes good sense to me that we should immediately lobby the government
to encourage schools to use FOSS.

In practice however, given that a lot of the people we'll be talking to
might be somewhat green and strain to be interested, we should.

	1) Give clear, simple, practice examples of what can be provided.
	2) Give a hands on demonstration and explain simply the benefits.
	3) Emphasise that we don't represent a vendor and FOSS works on all
	 mainstream vendors products. Support is available from vendors.
	4) Emphasise that it is a sustainable solution that saves taxpayer
	dollars, and make sure that it most certainly is.

This seems an especially good time for us to provide a little enlightenment.

What do other LA people think?

I was also thinking of inviting one of the new cabinet members along to the
LCA in Melbourne, unless someone has beat me too it...

Cheers,
Marco