[Linux-aus] New Federal Govt's Education/PC plans

Phil Rhoades phil at pricom.com.au
Tue Nov 27 06:31:34 UTC 2007

People,

Given that the new PM, Kevin Rudd, has indicated that ensuring that
every senior high school student has a PC is the number one priority for
the new government - has there been any discussion about how the FOSS
community is going to respond to this?  It seems we should be working on
proposals immediately.  My personal view is that the government should
make an in-principle decision to install a FOSS OS on the PCs and let
the users (schools) decide if they want to change to a MS OS (at their
own cost).  I think the PC should be just a wireless client that can be
easily reset to factory defaults and all the apps and data should be
handled centrally ala gmail etc.  Of course a FOSS solution like this
will need a support network, maybe something resembling:

http://www.healthnetwork.com.au/

ie

http://www.schoolnetwork.org.au/

?

Regards,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

Pricom Pty Limited  (ACN 003 252 275  ABN 91 003 252 275)
GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW      2001
Australia
Fax:     +61:(0)2-8221-9599