[Linux-aus] An Open Letter to the Open Source Community

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Wed May 23 03:27:43 UTC 2007

On Wed, 23 May 2007, Avi Miller wrote:

> Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 10:03:28 +1000
> From: Avi Miller <avi.miller at squiz.net>
> To: Bret Busby <bret at busby.net>
> Subject: Re: [Linux-aus] An Open Letter to the Open Source Community
>

> On 23/05/2007, at 1:41 AM, Bret Busby wrote:
>
>> Perhpas it may have been helpful to have included a description, or some
>> other indication, of the "behaviours" of which you complain.
>
> I think Melissa did quite succinctly in her original email:
>
> "As a Woman and an Open Source contributor, I implore you. Do not make
> jokes about us, just because we are female. Do not belittle, stereotype
> or patronise us, based on our gender. Do not assume that we are using
> Open Source so that you can ask us questions of private nature, or out
> on a date. Most importantly, do not stand by and watch as other people
> do these things."
>
> And I agree with Paul that Melissa's original email serves to remind us all
> that we could probably all be a little bit (ok, maybe a lot) nicer to each
> other. It doesn't take much work, just awareness and sensitivity.
>
> Thanks,
> Avi
>
> --

The above basically just says "Don't give us a hard time because we are
female".

If that is all there is to it, then there doesn't seem to be any
significant problem, that is specific to Linux, to open source, or to
ccomputing, and, if the "problem" is not limited to Linux or the Linux
community, then is is not appropriate for this list, unless
misogynistic actions have been taken, or misogynistic comments have
been made, on this list.

Have either of those occurred? I have not seen any references to any
incidents having occurred.

I am not aware of action having been taken on this list, or comments
having been made, to sexually harass any females, or to belittle
females.

Problems with the above message are highlighted with parts like the
"don't ask us out on a date, if we use open source".

The message above seems to say "If we are females in computing, don't
treat us as humans - don't ask us out on dates, don't joke with us,
don't talk to us".

It also sounds like "don't smile at any female involved with Linux, as
it is clearly indicating making a "sexual move" on the female".

Next, we will be getting "don't hire a computer person, unless the
person is female, until at least 35% of all computing people are
female".

ALL people should be treated equally with respect.

This is starting to sound like the proverbial "All animals are equal,
and some are more equal than others".

If the list is going to become a feminist "all men are evil" forum,
without any substance, then it has digressed from its purpose, and has
become the tool of an unrepresentative part of the Linux community in
Australia.

In the proposed restructuring of Linux Australia, does this mean that it
will have a "womens interest group" (but not a "men's interest group"),
and a "womens representative", "but not a "men's representative", on the
"governing council", and become an instrument for feminists, or, will
Linux Australiabe an organisation, the policies and objectives of which,
relate to Linux and the Linux community, in TOTAL, in Australia?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

  you'll know what the answer means."