[Linux-aus] An Open Letter to the Open Source Community

Paul Antoine paul at justinandpaul.com
Tue May 22 09:59:37 UTC 2007

Well said Melissa.

It would seem to me that the very highest standards of acceptance of
*all* diversity should be applied by the FOSS community, regardless of
the proportion of the population any particular group may represent.

In the FOSS world we encourage and respect diversity in the
participation of the user population and the contribution of technical
work... it is only natural we extend that same respect when interacting
with those participants.

Misandry is just as offensive as misogyny and should to be treated with
equal contempt. Oppression of sub-groups (whether minorities or not as
is the case for women) is often subtle and not recognised as such by the
oppressive dominant group.  Hint: if you're a 6' tall white male in a
upper middle class socio-economic grouping you may have zero experience
of this, nor any understanding of it.

Any form of perjorative, inappropriate or demeaning behaviour based on
the gender, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, or socio-economic status
must be actively discouraged.

Thanks Melissa for reminding us all of the particular plight of women in
the FOSS world.

Warmest regards,
Paul