[Linux-aus] LA member services / multi-tiered membership

Melissa Draper melissa at meldraweb.com
Mon May 21 05:32:40 UTC 2007

Peter Miller wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-05-20 at 20:33 -0700, Michael Still wrote:
>> AUUG argued for ages that services like email addresses
>> and DNS hosting were good benefits. The problem is its just not true. I
>> can buy my own .info domain name for $0.99 USD, and there are lots of
>> free DNS hosting services out there (although I would probably just use
>> my web host).
>>

> I think this is only partially true.
>
> While it is possible for me to get
> random-miller-gibberish-and-assorted-crap.org for $0.99 there's only a
> limited supply of short and aesthetic and descriptive domain names with
> "miller" in them.  The org.au and id.au prices are much higher: cheapest
> I've found so far is $15pa.  There being about 1M "Peter Miller"s on the
> planet, and only a limited number of
> miller.{edu,org,asn,com,id,net}.{au,nz,uk,us,...} domains, giving a
> shortfall of about 1M.
>
> Where there is scarcity, there is (potential) demand.
>
> Personally, I think pmiller at opensource.org.au would be (a) short, and
> (b) fairly descriptive.

It is also nice to have an email address to compliment whichever hat you
are wearing at the time while sending an email or passing contact
details. Purely cosmetic.

For example, as an Ubuntu member, I have an ubuntu.com email address at
my disposal. The emails sent to the address simply get sent to my
existing address. While I rarely use it, it is nice to be able to do so
when giving contact information when for example, I do/ask something as
a member of the Ubuntu community because it gives a certain authenticity
to my actions or request.

Of course everyone's mileage varies with these things.