[Linux-aus] LA member services / multi-tiered membership

Andrew Pam xanni at glasswings.com.au
Mon May 21 04:18:53 UTC 2007

Dave Davey wrote:
> The terminology "Sustaining Members" is used by some organisations as
> a class of membership for corporations where the annual subscription is
> often quite large compared to that for Ordinary Members but where that
> membership brings with it some benefit to the corporation, such as
> mention on web sites and/or in publications and/or at meeting sessions,
> and possible use of the society mailing list.

"Sustaining Member" is also commonly used by conventions for people who
wish to pay the membership fee even though they do not intend to attend
the convention, typically to gain voting rights and other benefits
accorded to convention attendees.  I agree that this might be a better
term than "Affiliate Member".  Personally I would like to suggest
"Corporate Member", which makes clear the distinction between the
membership classes: "Ordinary Member" would only be open to natural
persons, while "Corporate Member" would only be open to organisations.

Regards,
	Andrew