[Linux-aus] LA member services / multi-tiered membership

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Mon May 21 03:33:23 UTC 2007

Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Jonathan Oxer">
>
>> * What additional membership benefits could LA provide that would be
>> useful to you?
>
> None: I would become a financial member purely as a matter of supporting the
> organisation.

Jeff is right. AUUG argued for ages that services like email addresses
and DNS hosting were good benefits. The problem is its just not true. I
can buy my own .info domain name for $0.99 USD, and there are lots of
free DNS hosting services out there (although I would probably just use
my web host).

Focus on what people want to buy -- a sense that they've helped the
community.

(Oh, and does LA really need more money? What would that extra money be
used for?)

Mikal