[Linux-aus] LA member services / multi-tiered membership

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Mon May 21 02:07:25 UTC 2007

<quote who="Jonathan Oxer">

> * What additional membership benefits could LA provide that would be
> useful to you?

None: I would become a financial member purely as a matter of supporting the
organisation. Allowing services to define the value of membership might be a
short term advantage, but a long term disadvantage. Email aliases were all
the rage a few years back, but who wants email aliases now? Groups who made
services such as this define their value are now suffering the faster pace
of outside forces. Better to have members who care about the strength of the
organisation first and foremost, than those who care about indulgences.

> * What do you think would be a reasonable annual fee in exchange for those
> benefits?

Perhaps start at $20, but don't put a total dollar value on the bottom line,
allowing members to contribute as they see fit. :-)

> * Should LA start pursuing companies as "Affiliate Members" (as they are
> listed in the proposal) or should we only allow individual memberships?

I think it's worth making a small sacrifice here to strengthen the whole of
the community: Companies interested in supporting FLOSS in Australia should
(in most cases) have an interest in the local Open Source industry, which is
represented by OSIA. Companies who are more interested in supporting the
community directly can always sponsor linux.conf.au, and there is always an
opportunity for OSIA to sponsor Linux Australia (or its activities) should
it have funds available for that purpose. So: Linux Australia -> users and
developers, OSIA -> companies.

Thanks, great to hear from the committee,

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2008: Melbourne, Australia        http://lca2008.linux.org.au/

     "World domination is a community responsibility." - Michael Hall,
                                LinuxPlanet