[Linux-aus] Marketing Linux

Andrew Pam xanni at glasswings.com.au
Wed May 16 01:05:34 UTC 2007

linuxaus.1.tracyanne at spamgourmet.com wrote:

>     Publicity. Publicity from the race itself. Publicity from the fact
>     that this is a community effort, promoting a Community based OS.
>
>     The very fact that it's NOT a corporate sponsored car. The very
>     fact that a community of FOSS user have attempted to raise the
>     money through donations, is a story in and of itself, that should
>     generate far more publicity than the actual race.

I've read Penguin Pete's theories that the Tux500 fundraising may in
fact be a criminal scam.  I'm willing to assume that some or all of the
people involved actually have good intentions until proven otherwise,
but I still have the following concerns:

1. This is a poor choice of sporting event.
2. This is apparently a very poor choice of driver.
3. The time period for fundraising is way too short.
4. The community relations are nothing short of disastrous.

For those and other reasons, I and apparently many other people are very
concerned about this completely half-assed attempt which IMHO does not
show anyone involved in a good light.  Anyone who genuinely has the best
interests of the Linux/FOSS community at heart would be well served by
learning from the experience and trying again later with more planning
and consultation rather than continuing to bang the drum to try and
raise funds for this specific event.

Regards,
	Andrew