[Linux-aus] Marketing Linux

linuxaus.1.tracyanne at spamgourmet.com linuxaus.1.tracyanne at spamgourmet.com
Tue May 15 13:01:05 UTC 2007

> > > From: Kim wrote

> > >How much cash does it take to race for a whole season?

> > >How much hard earned cash does it take to race at the
        top of the category for a whole season?

        I don't have the faintest idea, it's irrelevant anyway, the aim
        is to sponsor this car, and move on using the publicity garnered
        from this effort.

> > >Is there a point of racing a budget team?

    Publicity. Publicity from the race itself. Publicity from the fact
    that this is a community effort, promoting a Community based OS.

    The very fact that it's NOT a corporate sponsored car. The very
    fact that a community of FOSS user have attempted to raise the
    money through donations, is a story in and of itself, that should
    generate far more publicity than the actual race.

> > >Right.

    Yes Right.

> > >You've obviously never ordered any Dell kit and had your mail box
        swamped for years ...

        Check out my email address, the one I'm using to post on this
        mailing list, it exists for only as long as I choose, i can't be
        spammed.

> > >So you say...

    In deed I do say it's not about DELL. It is about Linux, because
DELL has nothing t do with this, if DELL make money out of it good luck
to them. I just want to see tier 1 computer manufacturers offering Linux
so I and everyone else can have the choice.

> > >I agree that would be nice.

> > >But it takes away all the fun doesn't it.

    NO it doesn't, I'm tired of having to get it right, I'm tired of
having to make sure my hardware supports Linux, I'm tired of not being
able to just plug it in and know that it will run properly. I'm tired of
having to buy a computer with Windows on it, then have to install over
it. I'm tired of all that. I want to be able to buy a brand new computer
that has Linux on it, that just works.

> > >To be honest I don not believe that the success of Dell or others
in
        that game is
        100% linked to the success of Linux or Free Software or Open
        Source Software.

        I don't care if DELL is successful as a company or not. All I
        want is for the Desktop Linux market to take off, there are
        plenty of small companies offering Linux, They just don't have
        the marketing power that DELL or HP has.

> > >Linux and FOSS are already successful.

    Yes, in the server market. But not the desktop market. I want to be
able to buy desktop computers with Linux on them, I can't right now.

> > >IT has taken time, but from grassroots Linux and FOSS have grown
and
        not looked back.

        And hopefully it will continue to grow, but I want to be able to
        buy desktop linux in my lifetime.

> > >If you believe that the only way for Linux to be successful is by
what
        Harvey Normal sells on their shelves you doing some serious
        crack smoking.

        When Harvey Norman are selling Desktop Linux, then Desktop Linux
        WILL be successful, But it won't be because they are selling it,
        it will be because they have to sell it.

> > >Sounds like your in the coporate cave right now =P

    I live in rural Australia.

> > >See the thing is, I remain very unconvinced that sending AU$ to the
USA
        is a good idea, we're better of investing that in people here to
        develop with Linux.

        Maybe, if you believe that start a project.

> > >I am also unconvinced that sponsorship of Indy cars will benefit AU
in the
        short term, or even the long term.

        Depends on what you call benefit. For me it would be the tier 1
        manufacturers offering desktop Linux in Australia.

> > >Why did Tux500 hit the net at the same time as Vista500?

    You have that backto front.

        Whos actual marketing budget are you on?

        No one's, I do this for the love of Linux, because i want to see
        desktop linux ubiquitous.

        regards,

        Tracyanne