[Linux-aus] Marketing Linux

linuxaus.1.tracyanne at spamgourmet.com linuxaus.1.tracyanne at spamgourmet.com
Mon May 14 12:53:34 UTC 2007

> > From: Kim Hawtin <kimhawtin at gmail.com> wrote
> >
> > Isn't this dead yet?

Nope. Not till after the race.

> > Dell have their own advertising budget.

Indeed they do. This isn't about DELL, it's about Linux, and making the
name Linux widely known. The fall out from that is that if the US
offering of Linux on DELL computers is successful, DELL will offer Linux
on DELL in Australia. That can only be a good thing, as far as I'm
concerned.

> > They do their own marketing and are very effective at getting their
> > advertising/spam in your inbox.

Never received any, so I wouldn't know.

> > If they are pushing Linux because it betters their bottom line,
> > they are going to do a better job than a little bit motor racing sponsorship.

Maybe, maybe not, but the Tux500 project isn't about DELL, it's about
Linux. There are lots of little companies selling Linux who will benefit
from the Name Linux becoming more widely known. here are two that are
directly supporting the Tux500 project.

http://www.pricepc.com/complete-intel-pentium4-system-homeoffice-p-108.html
http://www.zareason.com/shop/home.php

> > Who cares if Dell in the US are successful? I mean really?

In general, I couldn't care less, Where it involves Linux I care a great
deal. I want Linux preinstalled on retail computers, I want Linux
available at every Harvey Norman and Chandlers and Good Guys store. I
want to be able to walk in to one of those stores and when the sales man
asks me if he can help, say I'd like to see your Linux computers, and
the salesman to say "yes certainly madam, we've got some great

> > Why does FOSS/Linux have to be about corporate success all the time?

What should it not? Do you have a problem with commercial/corporate
success?

> > I am sick to death of Linux vs Microsoft, FOSS vs Commercial...

Fine the best way to avoid that is to find a cave somewhere.

> > Indy car is irrelavent in the big scheme of motor sport in Australia,
> > please stop flogging a dead horse!

I can sill feel a pulse.

Tracyanne