[Linux-aus] Marketing Linux

linuxaus.1.tracyanne at spamgourmet.com linuxaus.1.tracyanne at spamgourmet.com
Mon May 14 12:35:41 UTC 2007

James Polley <linuxaus at zhasper.com> wrote

> > So spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to have a tiny decal on
> > a minor car in a minor sport in the US....

Actually the Indy is anything but minor, and a lot of very big name US
companies sponsor Indy Cars.

> > is going to make Dell (note correct capitalisation) ship linux

By helping to ensure that DELL's attempt to market Linux Computers in
the US is a success. If it's successful in the US, they will ship to the
rest of the World, including Australia.

this from Matt Domsch, a Linux Software Architect at Dell

"@tracyanne: we've said that at first this will be a US-only offering.
It will take some more time to make it available in other countries, but
we're well aware of the requests. Linux is fundamentally a global
movement, not specific to any one country or region."

However if the US offering fails, it's unlikely they well offer Linux to
Australian computer users.

> > and I (as someone who has only ever bought Apple hardware, and
> > probably only ever will buy Apple hardware), am meant to care about
> > this?

I would suppose you aren't. You support Apple Corp. So I suspect this
isn't aimed at you.

> > Could you explain to me how your insane idea

As you've decided it's insane is there any point in me attempting to
explain.

> > is going to give more value to the Australian F/OSS community in
> > general,

What would you consider value. Personally I consider value to be
ubiquitous access to computers preinstalled with Linux. But you purchase
Apple hardware so I can't see any value to you.

> > and Linux Aus in particular, than directing $300k in the direction
> > of something like Software Freedom Day, or even to Linux Aus
> > itself?

If you feel that strongly about raising 300k for Linux Aus, what's
stopping you getting the project off the ground?

The yank blokes I'm trying to help aren't sitting around talking about
what they think would help Linux and FOSS, they are doing what they
think will help. Now is your chance to do something constructive.

Tracyanne