[Linux-aus] Marketing Linux

Paul Antoine pma-la at milleng.com.au
Sun May 13 01:59:33 UTC 2007

Tracyanne, I understand you're very passionate about both Linux and the
Tux500 concept, and maybe even like to get the last word in :-P

However I think you might do well to accept that the problem with, and
the joy of, any highly intelligent and educated audience is that they
tend to be *very* skeptical :-)  To me this is a good thing, despite it
requiring the deft skills of cat-herding(tm) to get them all on board!

Dell is in such desperate market-share woes that they are trying
anything they can to win back ascendency from HP in the US. In my
experience US companies like Dell do not care about Australia's global
market share (2%).

Ergo... PR is PR is PR... which is where Tux500 and Linux come in for
Dell. It's a zero-cost option for Dell to say something about Tux500.
Marketing types love zero-cost options for pushing their brand :-)  This
is also the case for Linux on Dell... it's low-cost PR to be publicly
considering it as every Linux weenie with a blog will write about it.

Here in Aus, the only thing that would make Dell sit up and take notice
is if a *major* Aussie company (BHP, Rio, Comm Bank etc.) put in an
order for thousands of Dell machines insisting on Linux pre-installed,
or specified Linux as their primary desktop or server SOE... in short,
*very* unlikely to happen.  By Brenda's own admissions, getting your
average (vs enlightened) ACS professional to argue persuasively to their
board on the merits of switching some or all of their infrastructure to
Linux seems unlikely at this juncture.

BTW: I refer to this as "demand-pull"... and as someone who licensed
Aussie OS technology to Sun Microsystems for Solaris, I can tell you the
*pull* has to be extreme!

That said, thanks for making me think Tracyanne!

It occurs to me that we could *ignore* the ACS members in favour of
going over their heads to their bosses to promote the advantages of Open
Sauce!  The Linux community needs to get in front of the CEO's, CIO's
and CFO's of large public companies to create demand-pull.

We must convince the board members and senior management of Aussie
companies that Linux is able to improve their bottom line, meet mission
critical needs, and give them intimate control over their software
destinies.  Improving bottom line *always* works for board members ;-)

<humour on>
Universities and ACS hoards would then follow, like penguins to the
slaughter... <maniacal laughter> ;-P

Paul Antoine <geek, investor, board member, and deeply cynical when it
comes to software marketing and exporting to the US...>