[Linux-aus] The Great Debate 28 May 2007 - Linux vs Windows

Brenda Aynsley bpa at iss.net.au
Sat May 12 06:01:26 UTC 2007

Kim Hawtin wrote:
> On 5/10/07, Jeff Waugh <jdub at perkypants.org> wrote:
>> <quote who="Pia Waugh">
>>> Microsoft & Commercial Software VS Linux & the Open Source World
>>               ^ Grr. My FLOSS work is FIERCELY commercial! :-)
>
> how come the ACS can not get their heads around the concept of
> "using the right tool for the job"?
>
> nor do ACS memebers seem to be able to comprehend that
> commercial software developers can and do release open source software.

hmmm it seems ACS is in good company in choosing to use such language.

Con Zymaris on the OSIA list points us to the Forrester Consulting
report on Open Source Software's Expanding role in the Enterprise

http://www.unisys.com/eprise/main/admin/corporate/doc/Forrester_research-open_source_buying_behaviors.pdf

and in the Executive Summary it says, not once but twice in quick
succession:

"Once evaluated by companies, open source software is frequently
adopted and has taken its place alongside *commercial* software, often
without regard to the ways in which it is different. In this study, more
than half the companies that are using open source are using in for
mission critical applications. However, because there are differences
between open source and *commercial* software, customers want their
concerns about open source software addressed before they incorporate
open source more completely in their IT portfolios."  [my emphasis*]

I guess it just demonstrates the less than accurate way we use language
today.  We all know what is meant by this language and I think its clear
what point is being made.

If any of you want to demonstrate your anti-ACS sentiments then by all
means do so, but please do it on the basis of the ACS today and not
notions or experiences of last century.

cheers
brenda

--