[Linux-aus] The Great Debate 28 May 2007 - Linux vs Windows

Brenda Aynsley bpa at iss.net.au
Thu May 10 14:11:59 UTC 2007

Pia Waugh wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> <quote who="James Purser">
>
>> This is a serious question. I haven't seen a real move by the ACS to get
>> their head around Open Source as an organisation. Rather they seem to be
>> ignoring that space because either a) They just don't understand it or
>> b) They don't want to understand it.
>
> To be fair, I pulled a team together a few years ago and made an Open Source
> policy for them which they launched (and then kind of retracted). They had
> heavily edited our work, but it wasn't bad. Find it here:
>
> http://pipka.org/blog/2004/06/13/1087165642/

and the ACS has published its OS policy publicly at

http://www.acs.org.au/index.cfm?action=show&conID=200409011126496387

>> What sort of measures would you suggest?
>
> We just need to stay in their ear. We should work hard to work with them to
> get our messages to their memberbase, which is huge. There are a few ACS
> people on this mailing list :)

the same sort of measures you use for any other organisation.  ACS
members like many ICT professionals work with the tools they need to,
some folks live their lives in a professional manner and keep abreast of
innovation and new technologies through lifelong learning techniques.
These ACS members would be more aware of Open Source than those who have
long since shut their minds to new models of practice.  I have known
many a programmer/software developer who continue to develop in the tool
of choice which they've been using successfully for years, simply
because for them it aint broke so why fix it?  Along with that attitude
goes ignorance.

Our task is to break down that ignorance, where-ever it occurs.

BTW There are no vested interests in any particular software development
model commercial or non-commercial, proprietary or open source software,
its just that the proprietary systems are more familiar to most ACS
members at the present time.  If one is to level that accusation at ACS
then we better also take aim at the Higher Education Sector, the
universities are big users of proprietary software including apple software.

cheers
brenda

--
Brenda Aynsley, FACS, PCP