[Linux-aus] The Great Debate 28 May 2007 - Linux vs Windows

Paul Wayper paul.wayper at anu.edu.au
Thu May 10 05:00:28 UTC 2007

Kim Hawtin wrote:
> On 5/10/07, Jeff Waugh <jdub at perkypants.org> wrote:
>
>> <quote who="Pia Waugh">
>>
>>> Microsoft & Commercial Software VS Linux & the Open Source World
>>>
>>               ^ Grr. My FLOSS work is FIERCELY commercial! :-)
>>

> how come the ACS can not get their heads around the concept of
> "using the right tool for the job"?
>
> nor do ACS memebers seem to be able to comprehend that
> commercial software developers can and do release open source software.
>
> and then theres impossible to believe concept of selling service and
> support to business that need service and support using open source software.
>
> just because the software is free and open doesn't mean that some businesses
> are not willing to pay for help integrating it or adding to it or
> releasing it...

The answer to all these questions and more is in the first word of their
title.

"Microsoft".

It suits Microsoft very well to make people think that Linux and "Open
Source" are directly opposed to 'commercial software', both in the
"can't make a buck out of them" and the "trying to bring about the
demise of commercial software" senses.  It also suits them very well to
make people think that Microsoft is all about helping your own
commercial software company to grow.

In reality, the evidence from the commercial software industry is: have
a good idea, and be bought out by Microsoft.  Grow too big and try to
compete with Microsoft, and they'll smear you all over a barbed wire
fence.  Fista has delivered a huge blow to all the anti-virus and
firewall software vendors out there, by a typical 'oops, we changed the
interfaces, you'll have to waste a lot of time re-engineering your
application and pay us lots of money to get the new APIs' manouevre.
You can't even try to be a web services company, because Microsoft is
going to break everything but Microsoft's own offerings with each
release of IE.

In reality, the topic really should be:

Microsoft vs the commercial and open-source software industries.

So whoever set this topic clearly has a very biased agenda.

Have fun,

Paul