[Linux-aus] Converting Linux Australia's "Committee" to a "Board"

David Lloyd lloy0076 at adam.com.au
Sat Mar 10 09:26:11 UTC 2007

Stewart,

> Getting someone to step up for bookkeeper is tricky. I've suggested
> (multiple) times that we try and pay for someone to do this very
> important job (esp for LCA) as this *ALWAYS* becomes an issue.

I would suggest that if LA *does* pay a fair rate to have a book keeper
handle the organisation's books, then getting a book keeper won't be at
all tricky.

Perhaps the role of treasurer might then become:

  1. Policy adviser to LA about budgetary matters
  2. Once budget(s) have been set, the treasurer would then work with the
     council and committees to ensure that budgets are met
  3. Person who is responsible for appointing the auditor according to
     LA's wishes and, with the auditor, presenting that report

In other words, a valid way for LA to move might be to recast treasury
as a policy making role and assistant and remove the "book work" to a
paid book keepr.

It could easily be argued that with the amount of sponsorship money
turned over by LCA itself that not having a qualified and experienced
book keeper (not necessarily a CPA but someone who has the degree and
can demonstrate professional experience in the field) could lead to
complications if something does go "wrong".

I would suggest to the committee that:

  1. The LA committee prepares a summary of work that the treasurer has
     done in the past financial year; and
  2. The LA committee presents this summary to at least two recognised
     accounting firms or individuals and requests an indicative quote
     from those firms (were they to perform the book keeping work)

This would, at least, give us an indication of whether paying a book
keeper is financially viable. I suspect such a report might estimate the
amount of time taken, requirement(s) to be at meetings (by phone or
person) and other information a competent firm or individual would need
to give a credible indicative quote.

DSL