[Linux-aus] Converting Linux Australia's "Committee" to a "Board"

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Mar 1 16:20:10 UTC 2007

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Dave Davey wrote:

> Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 16:54:16 +1100
> From: Dave Davey <daved at windclimber.id.au>
> To: Stewart Smith <stewart at linux.org.au>
> Cc: Jonathan Oxer <jon at ivt.com.au>, Dave Davey <daved at windclimber.id.au>,
>     linux-aus at lists.linux.org.au
> Subject: Re: [Linux-aus] Converting Linux Australia's "Committee" to a "Board"

>>> Sounds like a good model to me: it's basically what I'm wanting to
>>> achieve, but with "Council" instead of "Board". The connotations of a
>>> "Council" is that it's more representative of the community anyway. I
>>> like it!
>>
>> One of the problems with the word council is that it can conjure up
>> ideas of representation based on location (e.g. a counselor for each
>> state, city or whatever) and this isn't what we're trying to achieve
>> (although it's generally nice for la ctte to be composed of people not
>> just from one place).
>
> I think "can" is an important word here.
>
> Of three organisations that I can think of at the moment that have councils,
> one has state-related councillors (partly), the other two do not.
>
> Our local borough council does not have locality based councillors.  The whole
> council is elected by all citizens in a preferential voting system similar
> to that for the Federal Senators for each state.
>
> So the name does not carry commitments for the electoral system.
>
> Dave
>
> --

I think that this goes back to the proverb from Shakespeare - "A rose
by any other name would smell as sweet".

You can name it whatever you want - a Senate, a Forum (as in THE Forum
of Rome),  a Council, a Committee, or a Knitting Circle.

It is the Constitution, that defines it, and, its actions that
demonstrate what it is and what it does (lots of split infinitives here,
for those who enjoy them :) ).

I think that the issue of what the governing body should be named, is no
more than a distraction. It is its definition, and, its actions, that
matter.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale