[Linux-aus] Converting Linux Australia's "Committee" to a "Board"

Dave Davey daved at windclimber.id.au
Thu Mar 1 13:55:10 UTC 2007

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 10:35:42PM +0100, Stewart Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 15:52 +1100, Jonathan Oxer wrote:
> > > So another model would be
> > > 	elevate the committe to council
> > > 	elevate sub-committees to commitees (best named committees)
> > > 	retain president and vice president
> >
> > Sounds like a good model to me: it's basically what I'm wanting to
> > achieve, but with "Council" instead of "Board". The connotations of a
> > "Council" is that it's more representative of the community anyway. I
> > like it!
>
> One of the problems with the word council is that it can conjure up
> ideas of representation based on location (e.g. a counselor for each
> state, city or whatever) and this isn't what we're trying to achieve
> (although it's generally nice for la ctte to be composed of people not
> just from one place).

I think "can" is an important word here.

Of three organisations that I can think of at the moment that have councils,
one has state-related councillors (partly), the other two do not.

Our local borough council does not have locality based councillors.  The whole
council is elected by all citizens in a preferential voting system similar
to that for the Federal Senators for each state.

So the name does not carry commitments for the electoral system.

Dave

--
David F. Davey
D'Entrecasteaux                                       Phone: +61 3 6267 4852
Australia                                            daved at windclimber.id.au