[Linux-aus] Fwd: Use of Penguin Image on Instant Scratchie Tickets.

Brent Wallis brent.wallis at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 15:50:44 UTC 2007

Gidday,

On 6/19/07, Jeff Waugh <jdub at perkypants.org> wrote:
> <quote who="Brent Wallis">

> > No where have I advocated "shouting" , nor have I promoted "in your face
> > confrontation". No where have I made a statement that would indicate that
> > I want to carry a flag on behalf of a copyright holder.
>
> Your post included allcaps and seemed quite a bit like a flag to be carried.

The first post had none, the second had a few, meant to highlight to
your good self the things that you missed in my first post.  ;-)

> > IMHO plagarists are liars and should be revealed and shamed....always!
>
> That's a pretty confrontational stance, and that is what I was reacting to
> from your previous mail. The word 'plagiarist' assumes malice, and 'shaming'
> may not be the most productive or positive course of action in this instance
> (particularly as a first port of call).

Yes it is confrontational..deliberately so. Professional honesty is a
core policy in my consultancy and I vehemently defend it above all
else because it has been one of the key components of my success so
far....sorry no appologies.

That being said ... I advocate a quiet and non emotive approach to
clarify the statement in the first instance.

If someone still wants to stand up and lay claim to a work that
clearly is not theirs _then_ I would follow through with a
professional strategy that is contextually appropriate....but no
quarter given.

If someone wants to claim someone elses work as their own then they
should learn that there will be consequences. Even if that consequence
is a gentle slap on the wrist from their employer....

> I offer the caution because sometimes - just sometimes - a good old mailing
> list whinge actually spurs action in the real world. It would be unfortunate
> if this company were drenched in bile and invective from the community for
> making a mistake (particularly if it were done by a third party).

That could happen, but the "bile and invective" would probably be from
people who only half read my posts....those that chose to only see the
things that validated their own feelings and agendas...what good can
come from tayloring ones comments to not stir up such despots?

History is littered with individuals that tried that and failed.

Best Rgds
BW