[Linux-aus] Grant proposal - Transport for Melissa Draper to speak at CLUG in June

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Tue Jun 5 13:25:24 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 09:47:27AM +1000, Paul Wayper wrote:
> Aim of Project: Transport Melissa Draper from Albury to Canberra and
> back by train.

> I would see this as a 'proof of concept' grant to open the scope for
> Melissa and other women to travel to LUGs across Australia to give
> similar talks on encouraging women to participate in FOSS and our community.

> The total cost of rail fares from Albury to Canberra return, leaving on
> the 28th of June and returning on the 29th of June, amount to $69.96.

> This is the amount I am asking Linux Australia to pay.  Accommodation,
> meals and other transportation will be taken care of privately.
> I would also have a 'gold coin donation' bucket at the CLUG meeting for
> donations to Linux Australia to offset the transport costs, and to give
> the feeling of a shared goal.

FWIW, I think this makes sense as a 'proof of concept' grant to open the
scope for LA to support folks with good dental health [0] to give talks at
LUGs over the country, on the basis that:

	- there's a local person organising it

	- the speaker has some credibility on the topic

	- it's a community-ish event, not promoting a product, or only
	  for the benefit of an exclusive group

	- the local community and speaker is helping support the event,
	  but can't (or isn't confident it can) handle it all on their own

        - the scale of (potential) benefit is a good match for the cost

YMMV; speaking on my own behalf, not the LA committee or LA.

Cheers,
aj

[0] ie, FLOSS folks