[Linux-aus] Fwd: [FC-discuss] Volunteering for FreeCulture.org

Melissa Draper melissa at meldraweb.com
Sun Jul 22 13:12:54 UTC 2007

harry wrote:
> Hi Brenda et.al.,
>
>>> Tonight, Sunday July 22nd, at 8pm EDT ([calculate your time zone][1]),
>>
>> it's not a good start to talk about free culture when the timezone
>> asserted is a local one and who apart from those that do know, knows
>> what EDT is? Dont the organisers know about UTC?
>>

> <snicker>
>
> Of course, we *all* know that nothing of any real importance exists
> outside the 5-mile limit of the continental United States of America,
> and therefor the probability approaches unity that 'EDT' is 'Eastern
> United States Daylight Savings Time'.
>
> As for "UTC" - only if you mention it as 'Zulu-time', and then only
> those who watch JAG or NCIS or some other 'Military
> Intelligence' (oxymoron alert!) type TV show.
>
>> Please convery my good wishes for its success, whoever joins in,
>> whenever it is ;).
>>

> Yeah, ditto and likewise.
>
> veering onto a tangent, I'm pretty sure I have (more than) enough
> american 'culture' (second oxymoron alert!) to deal with, without it
> being 'free'. Though, you do get what you pay for... ;')
>
> .h
>
>> cheers
>> brenda

While yes, I agree it would have been nicer to have had a more universal
 time indicator, I find it to be quite disheartening when someones
personal oversight is used to demean the context of the announcement,
let to publicly insult (no matter how humourously intended) social or
political movements (FreeCulture and Military) and an entire countrys
populace.

I got the same sort of responses when I gave a talk to CLUG last month,
where a typo in my slides was brought up in emails to me after the fact,
in an attempt to undermine my perception of my own credibility. It's not
nice to be at the sharp end of such unfounded comments.

If you intend satire (irony and oxymorons included), please err on the
side of consideration. Failing to do so can result in intentions backfiring.

"Satire should, like a polished razor keen, wound with a touch that is
scarcely felt nor seen" -- Lady Mary Wortley Montagu. 1689-1762

--
Sincerely
Melissa Draper

http://www.meldraweb.com