[Linux-aus] Re: A/V recordings and publishing

On 30/01/2007, at 11:06 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
We actually discussed this point a bit at a previous SLUG meeting.
While it would be a good idea for the LUGs to use the equipment to get
more experience in  video recording, it would also mean that next
year's LCA a/v team would need to start buying stuff from scratch -
because once the gear is handed over to a LUG, it will (hopefully) be
used and thus, obviously, lose quality.

I've done a fair bit of thinking about this and I've come to the same conclusion. I think it'd be far better getting an active video infrastructure into place to make it really easy for those with existing equipment to get involved, off the bat, and that doesn't have to involve a huge (or even necessarily any) supplied equipment, although that may be an indirect consequence.

Video footage I think is something that would definitely be a big asset to the FOSS community, and the more people we can educate/get involved on the various techniques/technologies/etc, the better. Costs involved with single events (versus a conference) can actually be quite cheap, and entirely volunteer powered if properly structured; the key here really is exposure.

More on this soon, I hope ;-)