Re: [Linux-aus] In the news today (second life & Linux/FOSS)

On Tue, 2007-01-30 at 15:32 +1000, Marco Ostini wrote:
> Here are some sobering numbers to consider regarding the rapid growth of
> Second Life, and I'm sure it's a motive for many corporations and
> organisations getting involved.
>
> At this moment, there are in Second Life;
>
> Total Residents:  	3,068,521
> Logged In Last 60 Days: 	1,014,117
> Online Now: 	19,535
> US$ Spent Last 24h: 	$1,024,708
> LindeX Activity Last 24h: 	$182,375
>
> The scary part is that in August 2006 there were 493,563 Total Residents.
>
> Growth predictions suggest that by April this year there could be about
> 7,294,107 Total Residents with corresponding increases in the other metrics.
>
> http://tnl.net/blog/2007/01/05/running-the-numbers-on-second-life/

But also see this commentary by Clay Shirky:

Second Life: A Story Too Good To Check
http://valleywag.com/tech/second-life/a-story-too-good-to-check-221252.php

Second Life: What are the real numbers?
http://many.corante.com/archives/2006/12/12/second_life_what_are_the_real_numbers.php

Real Second Life numbers, thanks to David Kirkpatrick
http://many.corante.com/archives/2007/01/04/real_second_life_numbers_thanks_to_david_kirkpatrick.php

Excerpt from the last article above:

Here are the numbers Philip Rosedale of Linden gave him. These are, I
presume, as of Jan 3:

  * 1,525,670 unique people have logged into SL at least once (so now we
    know: Residents is seeing something a bit over 50% inflation over
    users.)
  * Of that number, 252,284 people have logged in more than 30 days
    after their account creation date.
  * Monthly growth in that figure, calculated as the change between last
    September and last October, was 23%.

Regards,
	Andrew
--