Re: [Linux-aus] linux.conf.au Possible *Future* Programme Format

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007, Steven Hanley wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 10:45:49AM +1030, David Lloyd wrote:
> >  * If one extends the conference to a whole week, how would that:
> >    - affect pricing
> >    - affect scheduling
> >    - affect staffing requirements (where staff may be volunteers but you
> >      know what I mean)
>
> One problemw e keep having every year now is the amount of cool content we
> have to reject, it got worse agian this yyear with such a huge number of
> talks submitted and I am sure they had tyo reject a heck of a lot of really
> cool stuff.

Mind you, it's healthy to reject stuff, and still healthy to reject good
stuff.

Any operator of an expensive scientific instrument with contending
scientific users has the same problem of needing to reject stuff, and it
can be a damned discouraging thing to turn away projects you think will
really help science.  Yet astronomers consider it healthy if their
telescopes are oversubscribed by a factor of about 3 -- with such
oversubscription factors, only the best contenders bother to propose a
project (because a 5 page detailed proposal takes so much effort to
write), and then only the best of the best are allocated time in a process
similar to LCA's.

It's a good thing -- it ensures that the audience are gauranteed the best
of talks, so it is a more prestigous event to turn up to be an audience
member.  If you're a serial bad talker, you won't get a chance to bore
your audience more than twice.

> arranged to have more main conference time from a money perspective. Prixces
> realisitcally owuld not have to change much if at all. Of course the two
> mini conf days are kind of usd bby the team to set up and tesat a bunch of
> stuff for the main confernece (part of the treating mini confs as second

Lay off the port already!  It's only midday!

--
Tim Connors
http://site.aao.gov.au/twc