Re: communication and representation (was [Linux-aus] Nominations and their spiels for the LA election)

On Wed, 2007-01-03 at 12:49 +1100, Ben Powell wrote:
> Us down here at TasLUG discussed making this sort of suggestion to LA,
> but after much debate we decided that it would not be such a good idea
> because if a State/region did not nominate a member it sends a very bad
> message firstly to their community and potential members and secondly to
> LA and the general Linux community, although reasons for a lack of
> nomination are often to do with a lack of time to contribute (I know
> that all of the TasLUG executive are totally flat-out most of the time -
> and many of our members are too).  If a State/region does not have an LA
> delegate then it may hurt its chances of expanding as its potential
> community of members may see it as not being a 'serious' LUG.

I'd advocate having it be somebody not on the LUG or LA ctte. somebody
else in the community who can use this bit of cross-group communication
as a good way to contribute to the wider community.

e.g. for LUV, I could be the guy for 2007 - neither on LA ctte or LUV
ctte, but pretty well connected to both and understand what's going on.*

[*] this shouldn't be taken too literally as a "give stewart more work"
thing.

> This is why I made the suggestion of the Conference of Australian LUGs -
> it means that at least once a year a LUG exec member can meet with
> others and LA to share ideas and knowledge and hopefully develop
> strategies to better run their LUG and expand their membership. I think
> that the teleconf participation by a LUG rep is also an excellent idea
> to help LUG-LA communications - possibly putting this on a rotational
> basis amongst LUGs (rather than just asking for calls for participation)
> may be a good way of ensuring that everyone gets to participate.

perhaps LUG people joining LA ctte for full/half a day at their f2f? a
fly in/out from the most populated areas of the country is pretty cheap
(i'd be fine for springing for a hotel for anyone travelling from one
coast to the other though)

> On the issue of getting speakers, etc. to LUGs - this is something
> TasLUG's been discussing for a while. We want to try and have a major
> event in addition to our regular monthly meetings once a quarter eg. get
> someone (either interstate or overseas) down to talk at least once a
> quarter or run some other major event. It'd also be great to get a
> LA-rep down for one of these so we can all "touch-base". However, the
> limit of 50 LUG members may be a trifle high for many small-yet-active
> LUGs (TasLUG has over 50, but many others that are just as active do
> not) - the measure probably should be more based on activity with a
> smaller min. member number or alternatively on a purely discretionary
> grants basis, then the LA community has an opportunity to comment before
> making a speaking grant - although this adds extra admin to the LUG and
> to LA.

i really think we need a page somewhere that easily lists how to contact
LUGs for the "i'm in your area for work/holiday, is it a good time to
speak at your lug?". A number of us try to be proactive, but are rather
busy and travel does really sneak up on you.

> As far as getting internationals down to talk, maybe try and co-ordinate
> these talks with international visits for LCA - eg. after LCA maybe some
> speakers would be able to do a talk for a LUG or two. I know many of
> them are too busy and only fly-in/fly-out but if LA can even get 2-3 a
> year that will reduce the cost as the international leg of their fare is
> already paid.

certainly. would be a good plan to encourage this for 08. want to be the
co-ordinator of convincing speakers to travel a bit after the conf?

i know that several international guests have toured Tasmania at various
points and loved it... surely checking out the local FOSS groups would
be awesome too

--
Stewart Smith (stewart@linux.org.au)
Committee Member, Linux Australia