Re: [Linux-aus] linux.conf.au Possible *Future* Programme Format

On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 20:02 +1030, David Lloyd wrote:
> Kylie,
>
> > 5 days of conference with miniconferences running on all of these days.
> > 3 miniconfs on the Monday & Tuesday, 3 on Wednesday & Thursday and some
> > on Friday or Open Day on Friday.  Often there are several miniconfs I'd
> > like to attend all on at the same time.  Does anyone else find this?
> > Could the above suggestion be workable?  Has this been discussed before?
>
> Wouldn't you still, inevitably, get clashes? Wouldn't this make it
> slightly more worse in that you may get major clashes with the main
> conference programme?

David
Sure there will always be some clashes.  But worse for whom?  Having two
streams of conference running at one time just gives attendees choice
from a more diverse range of topics.  I know some would call this
sacrilege but there is sometimes more in the miniconfs than in the main
conference program of interest and benefit to me.

There's been discussion on the list about changing the conference and
changing Linux Aus, incorporating other conferences in with lca etc.

I could happily attend a longer FOSS Education conference for example
and still attend parts of the main lca.

Here back in July 05 Jon Maddog Hall
http://lists.linux.org.au/archives/linux-aus/2005-July/msg00222.html
talked about LCA2006 having education as a theme for the whole
conference.

  "Now since Dunedin is a center of education in New Zealand, I was
wondering
if the LCA program committee might consider a THEME for the conference in
Education?  You could have a track that would concentrate on education, and
training sessions concentrating on things of use to educational groups,
perhaps getting funding from philanthropic groups to fund some projects
and do what we call in the states a "full-court press" for education....to
move the K-12 and even University education using FOSS ahead by a year or two.

Some of the students in the ACM group might be approachable in doing projects
for education, and there could be some training sessions for "teaching the
teachers".

This is not to say that you could not consider other tracks and other subjects,
but it would allow you to create a certain amount of interest and excitement
to have a "conference within a conference"."

It needn't necessarily just be education, that's just where my main interest lies.

Kylie
--
Kylie Willison
Co Regional Director

My Blog
http://kyliewillison.blogspot.com

This email was sent from a computer running the Ubuntu Linux
operating system.  The Linux operating system isn't harmed
by Windows viruses or spyware.