Re: [Linux-aus] Nominations and their spiels for the LA election

James Purser wrote:
> This also brings up the question of "Where does the money come from?"
> linux.conf.au started out as the entire focus of LA, and has always been
> our primary income earner (with great thanks to all previous and current
> linux.conf.au organisers!). However we are now at a place where we need
> diversify our income streams. There will come a time when for whatever
> reason linux.conf.au doesn't bring in the money (may that day be a
> loooong way off). We need to setup that fund raising committee and we
> need it to start raising funds :)

I know the coffee fundraiser didn't do so well the first time - more due
to announcement and timing issues on my part than anything else.  But
I'd be happy to run other ones, at whatever frequency and distribution
people would like.  I suspect quarterly or thirdly (i.e. every three or
four months) would be enough.

We had $368 in coffee orders, $228 of which goes to Kaldi and $140 goes
to Linux Australia.  As a fundraiser it's small change compared to what
Kaldi regularly does - they've told me of fundraisers which made over
$1000 for the organisation.  In total we had around ten people order 16
bags of coffee - eight people were from within Canberra and five from
within CLUG.  I'm not happy with this response, and want to generate
more interest in it next time.

Have fun,

Paul