[Linux-aus] competition and collaboration

David Lloyd lloy0076 at adam.com.au
Mon Jan 8 12:11:02 UTC 2007

Actually,

> When I read this I thought of Jamendo.com. Lots of music licensed under
> Creative Commons. There are probably other examples of this type of setup.
> Maybe some of these artists would get involved in some sort of comp.

The glitch is that the moment you provide some type of incentive which
is greater for one person or a class of people, there's inequality. If
you amalgamate the groups as a single entity, you get stuck with the
same problem: one "group" gets the reward/incentive and the other
"group" perceives their reward/incentive is less.

That is to say, the problem remains the same but you might have less
people upset.

A real way to have fun with the collaboration thing might be to flatten
the playing field totally and work out WHY people want to do what
they're collaborating on. Then find out ways to "reward" everyone in a
way that is "special" to them.

How one does that, I suppose, is the question that Janet is asking.

One might look at how teachers (I almost did a PC "educational
practitioners") reward children when they're playing games[other than
competitive sport]. I would think that teachers face the task of, "How
do we provide incentives to all the pupils without missing anyone out or
playing favourites" all the time.

Maybe I'm just being random :)

DSL