[Linux-aus] competition and collaboration

Janet Hawtin lucychili at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 07:07:01 UTC 2007

On 1/8/07, David Lloyd <lloy0076 at adam.com.au> wrote:

> Janet,
>
> > competitions for logos are something which is often done
> > how do you have 'win a prize' fun on mashups?
>
> It's before tea/coffee time, but what is a mashup?
>
> :P

Anything where someone starts something and someone else changes or mixes
more things into it. The result can include effort by a range of people.
Think free open source shapes. YouTube speak I guess. eg If you do a logo
and i rewangle it and someone else adds a typeface and it comes up with
something nifty traditional logo comps would expect one winner. There is a
disincentive to collaborate inherent in the 'win a prize' ness. Just
wondered if people had examples of mixed winnings. The inkscape logo was
something which had a range of participants. Some of the other logos
probably have multi input too. If there is a project eg a CD of foss music
and invite folks to contribute cover art I was just wondering how to have
fun with the collaborative habit on that kind of thing without making it a
one person win thing.

Janet