[Linux-aus] Nominations and their spiels for the LA election

Lindsay Holmwood auxesis at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 14:39:01 UTC 2007

Hey all,

First off, I think AJ's proposal is a great idea.

On 1/2/07, Anthony Towns <aj at azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:

>     - each LUG of 50 members or more shall be entitled to ask LA to invite
>       an Australian free software hacker to give a presentation at one
>       of their meetings once a year
>
>     - each LUG of 150 members or more shall be entitled to ask LA
>       to invite an international free software hacker to give a
>       presentation at one of their meetings once a year

What sort of membership would that be - financial or mailing list?

SLUG is one of the larger (largest?) LUGs in Australia, and even we
don't have 150 financial members. I doubt that other LUGs would have
numbers approaching that.

Financial membership numbers have stayed fairly constant over the last
few years, though even with an LCA in our city, I don't expect us to
reach 150 members anytime in the next few years.

I'm all for it if the barrier of entry is lowered for the smaller LUGs.

We already source speakers from outside SLUG (both interstate and
international), but this sort of LA initiative would be really useful
to smaller LUGs in capital cities and regional locations.

Maybe an Australian LUG survey would be a initiative worth pursued by
the new LA committee (or even a subcommittee)? There are all manner of
interesting questions LUGs can be asked, with the responses analysed
to provide better interaction between LA and the LUGs (like or
building on AJ's proposal).

Just a thought. :-)

Lindsay
SLUG President