[Linux-aus] Standards Australia's letter to JTC1 about ECMA 376

Jonathan Oxer jon at ivt.com.au
Thu Feb 15 07:44:09 UTC 2007

Hi LA,

Below is an email forwarded to me by Dan Shearer about a request from
Standards Australia for "technical expert" input into Microsoft's
application for fast-track ratification of the "Office Open XML" format.

What? Microsoft wants ratification of Open Office's XML-based document
format as a standard? No, read it again: that's *not* the OOo / ODT
format! It's just another of their "muddying the waters" moves: dress up
the next version of .DOC with a name that's confusingly similar to ODT,
then get it ratified as a standard to bypass all the recent "we'll only
allow ratified standard document format" policies being introduced
around the world to allow entry of ODT into government departments.

Standards Australia looks to be very much on our side with this issue
but they need our help. They're objecting to the fast-track proposal and
requesting clarification on a number of points, so this is our chance to
submit expert testimony to support Standards Australia's objections.

If open formats are as important to you as open source then please
contact Standards Australia and offer your input into Microsoft's
application. There's not much time because Microsoft requested a
fast-track process (I wonder why?) when they submitted the 6000 page
application for assessment.

OK people. You know what to do. Sic em!

Cheers   :-)

Jonathan Oxer