[Linux-aus] LA server back on the air

Jonathan Oxer jon at ivt.com.au
Thu Feb 15 07:36:10 UTC 2007

Hi LA,

The primary LA server ("Digital") is now back on the air, although in a
rather different form: instead of a physical machine in Perth it's now a
virtual machine in Melbourne thanks to the hard work of the admin
team[0] and server resources/bandwidth donated by IVT[1].

We'd planned to do a nicely scheduled migration and I'd already started
copying content off the old machine, but then circumstances forced an,
umm, "emergency" migration before we were quite ready, so huge thanks
to:

* Gary Allpike, who physically retrieved the old LA server at 3am when
it looked like we had to "move it or lose it".

* Anand Kumria, who figured out a problem with Exim4 and TLS on the
virtual machine and recompiled Exim so you could all get your mailing
list fixes again - all while on an overseas trip.

* Andrew Pollock, who got home from a ski trip to discover that things
had gone pear-shaped in his absence and then ran around fixing things
like DNS.

Thanks guys! You're champions.

Note that there are still bits of content missing from some sites
because we didn't quite get it all off the old box in time, but when we
can get the old server reconnected we'll clean that up. No content has
been lost, it's just on a disk that's inaccessible at the moment. There
are also some secondary domains that will need sorting out but by and
large we're back on the air.

Cheers   :-)
--
Jonathan Oxer