[Linux-aus] Vista v. Linux Movie

Andrae Muys andrae at netymon.com
Tue Feb 6 20:38:12 UTC 2007

On 06/02/2007, at 5:48 PM, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 15:52 +1100, Brent Wallis wrote:
>>> But what _is_ working is viral memes, subversive stuff that sees the
>>> underdog win, and seeing 'the truth' behind the corporate gloss.
>> I have to disagree very strongly here...the underdog winning...etc
>> has
>> never won me business....ever... and only serves to alienate
>> potential
>> clients. When we interview in the place I am working at the moment,
>> any potential candidate that brings these types of arguments up as
>> valid support for Linux is never called back, no matter how great a
>> tech they may be.... Please understand that this technique is only a
>> very small part of what got us this far but it will not, under any
>> circumstance hold water going forward. You will chase your potential
>> clients away if you promote as such. The "underdog nonsense" was old
>> in 2001 and even older now. Linux is already in big corporates...it
>> aint subversive any more...:-) MS use the "underdog" card to belittle
>> Linux and FOSS in the marketplace...don;t help them keep doing it!
>>
>> Marketing Rule 4: People like to be part of something and will always
>> fall on the side of majority opinion and taste.
>>
>> That rule is played over and over and over by politicians and it
>> works
>> for them now in the same way it did 500 years ago...the trick is to
>> get the general population to feel good about a move.
>
> If that 'Marketing Rule' was true, none of us would be using or
> working
> on Linux or working on minority projects (like Suspend2).
>
> Hmm. This whole reply seems very negative. Sorry about that, but I
> really disagree with some of the things you've written.

Which is unfortunate, because his 'Marketing Rules' are spot on.  The
problem you are having is that you belong to a very small niche in
the market - and one that follows a very different set of rules to
the 'People' Brent is talking about (at least when it comes to
technology).  The missing piece of this puzzle is to remember your
innovation product cycle.

Innovator,
Early Adopter,
Early Majority,
Late Majority.

Every innovator knows about linux already - most of them have tried
it and many of them are using it already.  By now I suspect most of
the early adopters are in the same boat.  These are the groups we
will reach via viral marketing, and going in blind is a waste of
time.  Ignorance of linux isn't the problem here, they already know
about linux, and presumably have their reasons why they aren't using
it.  Those reasons may not be rational, and they may not be up to
date, but unless we have done the research and *know* what they are
nothing we do will change anything.

But of course this entire thread was never about innovators or early
adopters.  Anthony's post was about attacting the early majority to
linux, and they play by different rules to everyone on this list.
The dominating characteristic of the majorities is that they are very
risk adverse.  The underdog/elite-minority perception attacts the
early adopters; mixed/multiple messages are taken as indications of
vibrancy and opportunity - a chance to stand out and do something
different; find an edge on the competition.  The majorities see
confusion, a lack of maturity, risk.  They will decide to wait until
the early adopters finally figure out the 'right way' to move
forward, and then they will head that way.  That's why the 'underdog'
is the absolute worst image you can project here.

Be aware that linux wasn't mentioned in the previous paragraph, this
is because this is a general characteristic of the marketplace as
applicable to fashion as it is to computer operating systems.  Also
be aware that none of these descriptions are derogatory.  It takes a
lot of time and effort to be able to mitigate the risks of moving
early sufficiently to allow a person to do it.  I haven't been able
to move earlier than the early majority on computer hardware for
years (and don't ask me about fashion); my attention has been focused
on programming languages and technologies - as a result I get to
innovate there (where I earn my living).

But the point remains that in any given market, the vast majority of
people 90%+ are in the early and late majorities - and if that is the
market you want to reach, then you will do well to listen to people
like Brent; even better to find a marketing suit, take them out for
coffee or a drink, and listen to them for a while.

That's what I do.

Andrae Muys

P.S.  As a consequence, I know a few marketing types who grok FOSS -
I listen to them, they listen to me, we both learn something.  I'll
see if any of them are interested in discussing this.

--
Andrae Muys
andrae at netymon.com
Principal Mulgara Consultant