[Linux-aus] Re: A/V recordings and publishing

Ken Wilson kenwilso at ozemail.com.au
Tue Feb 6 20:38:06 UTC 2007

Russell Stuart wrote:

> At other LCA's the speaker was required to repeat all
> questions.  As I was watching the delays caused by
> the wireless mics being moved around the audience I
> ended up thinking that getting the speaker to repeat
> the question was a better (and cheaper) solution.

With a speaker that is used to repeating questions this works well, but
many speakers have not yet learnt this, maybe prompting would help, but
in small theatres where all people can hear the floor question it is
counter intuitive to repeat the question for the recording.
> The other problem seems to be getting both the speaker
> and the slides in the picture.  In some theatres the
> speaker stood on one side of the room and the projector
> screen was on the other making the cameraman's job
> dammed near impossible.

Mark an area on the floor in gaffa tape big enough to move about a bit
and get to laptop, projector etc and say if you want to look good in the
video then stay within this area. It is what happens in professional
recording. There is room for some negotiation. Setup of theatre may need
to be manipulated to encourage speaker to stay within a good area for
recording, or to move the camera to get the best position. It would help
to have recorded in that theatre before with a range of speakers to be
familiar with positioning, or to have just done more recording, so
encouraging LUGs to video will improve the experience pool.
Ken