[Linux-aus] Vista v. Linux Movie

Anthony Hornby ahornby at darlug.org
Tue Feb 6 08:33:02 UTC 2007

Hi All,
If linux is ready for the desktop (and I think it is) this sort of thing should be on TV, in the newspapers, on posters at your local computer shop, on TV "tech shows" etc etc etc ...

Brand recognition is what it is all about (as much as I hate to admit it). Average consumers do not, and will not, invest a lot of time making purchasing decisions about computers and software - they just pick what they have seen recommended in the media or what the salesman at their local shop recommends.

We need some of the bigger organisations to be actively promoting linux products in this way to get inroads into the home user market.

It is market share that will bring along all the other things we want like more openness from hardware vendors (so better driver support for new stuff, better support for games and other commercial software packages (either natively or via wine) etc etc etc ...

Get significant market share on the desktop and IE starts losing its grip in the browser stakes. Outlook becomes less important as an email client.

Here's hoping ....

Regards Anthony.