[Linux-aus] Open Source for Seniors

Shelagh Manton oneida at tpg.com.au
Mon Feb 5 06:15:02 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-02-03 at 17:06 +1100, Andrew Swinn wrote:
> I have been contacted by the Clubs Development Officer of the Australian
> Seniors Computer Clubs Association in regards to the possibility of setting
> up some sort of presence at a soon to be held expo. The ASCCA are an
> association providing support to many computing clubs throughout Australia.
> They hold an expo every year as part of Seniors Week and this year they are
> holding it in Dubbo.
>
> So being in Dubbo I have been asked if I could setup something about Linux and
> Open Source Software and perhaps provide a 30 min seminar on the topic.
> Seniors Week is in the middle of March so I don't have that long to organise
> things, but first stop is this mailing list to ask for suggestions.
>
> Being that this is senior focused there is really no room for tech talk so I
> am wondering what else is there? I am looking for suggestions for the best
> approach to this sort of thing. What topics to discuss, how to discuss them
> etc.
>
> Any suggestions are more than welcome, and if anyone would like to get
> involved then be sure to let me know.
>
> Regards,
>
> Andrew Swinn

In addition to all of the other excellent suggestions, might I suggest some
other applications which might enthuse seniors?

Tellico, collection manager for books, videos, anything you like: and
Gourmet (or Grecipe) for recipes. The music applications that help you
organize music, Amarok, rhythmbox etc. All of these would appeal to the
more mature market. I also wouldn't be shy of demonstrating kde-edu
Kalzium and Kstars or Celestia or Stellarium as these likely to be of
interest to many people of any age.

Shelagh