[Linux-aus] Computer users and linux: moving upstream to software producers.

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Tue Feb 13 09:50:33 UTC 2007

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, Chris McCormick <chris at mccormick.cx> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 09:37:38AM +1100, Janeene Beeforth wrote:
> > Look further into the games development, and you find that the *tools*
> > used to produce the games (stuff like havok, gamebryo, etc) will only
> > produce games for Windows or Windows consoles. This means that the
> > developers of the game get tied to a specific OS by the tools that they
> > feel are required to be able to develop the game.
>
> Anecdotal evidence to the contrary; I was doing some contract work
> for a USA company on a video game last year, and was faced with the
> ridiculous situation where their entire toolchain was built from FOSS
> parts, but I had to run it under Wine because they had undertaken the
> immensely laborious task of porting the whole stack to Windows, instead
> of just building the ROM under a much cleaner, more stable Linux-based
> development environment.

Considering that so many commercial games have their server counterparts
working on GNU/Linux, how hard would it be to have the clients working as
well?

--
"The thing he [Bill Gates] realised about the windows was this: because they
had been converted into openable windows after they had first been designed