[Linux-aus] AUUG to close? Will there be a rush of new members to Linux Australia?

David Newall david at davidnewall.com
Fri Dec 21 03:49:07 UTC 2007

Brenda Aynsley wrote:
> are there other options to be canvassed by AUUG?

None with such a close fit as Linux Australia.

> As a professional association, as their charter states, is it, as dave
> says, a fait accompli to join with Linux Australia a proudly community
> focussed group?
>
> Is [amalgamating with] an industry group such as OSIA something to
> investigate?
>
> Is the Australian Computer Society an option?

Valid questions, and something that AUUG should consider.  However LA is
the closest, almost tailored, fit.

I don't think ACS could be an option if it meant that AUUG members would
then have to be ACS members.  Plenty of AUUG members, at least in the
past when it had plenty of members, wouldn't be eligible to join ACS.
The claim of being a professional association is honestly only self-puffery.

I don't know much about OSIA, but I know more than a little about ACS,
and it's not as good a fit as AUUG.